Sunday, May 05, 2013

Answer & clarification (edited to answer an additional question)

One of my most faithful readers asked the following question:


"Question for you...I have noticed on your excursions that you are appropriately dressed for hot arse weather, but am wondering how that generally works with your Muslim country lifestyle.  I think a post on that decision-making would be fascinating."

Faithful reader, that is an excellent question and as you know, I love answering questions.  So here goes.

I have a simple rule for what I'm comfortable wearing.  By comfortable, I mostly mean whether or not I am offending anyone.  Because obviously long sleeves and long pants or skirts are not comfortable in our very hot weather.  (But let's be honest, nothing is.)

Here is my rule:  if I am going anywhere where there will be Omanis, I cover up.  But, if I am doing tourist activities and am fairly confident that I will not bump into Omanis, then I wear my board shorts if I might get wet (that's what those blue shorts are that you see everywhere on my blog, and I wear them over my swimsuit and don't take them off).  So, while on the dolphin watching boat, I wore what is essentially my swimsuit because I thought I might get wet, and in the car I had a maxi-skirt and cardigan that I put on immediately when we got back to the car.  The beach that's in our complex (the Wave) is considered to be an expat beach, but I do not sunbathe in my bikini even though you know I totally love to sunbathe in my bikini.  There are Omanis there often.  So, I wear my board shorts over a one piece if I swim, and then cover up when I get out.  Might this attitude change? Sure.  But for now, it's how I feel most comfortable and respectful.  

***

And now for the clarification.  I believe that I may have given the impression in my post about driving that I took a proper driving/vision test in order to get my license, the one taken by all drivers on the road.  This is not the case.  Because I had a valid license from another country, I did not take a test at all other than the (abbreviated?) vision test (my US license clearly states that I wear corrective lenses, of course).  So, I have hope that most people who have driving licenses here can see properly.  

***

Finally.  We are getting VERY CLOSE on our house and God-willing (or inshallah) I will be posting a home tour very shortly!  (Everyone here says inshallah, about everything, and I think it's cute except when they are saying it to excuse not having their children in a carseat or even a seatbelt. Luckily nobody has ever said it to me in this context or I would have had to forcibly put them in my car and take them to the mall to buy the child a carseat. I cannot express the rage I now feel when I see toddlers dancing around in cars going 120 km/hr.  It was initially confusing and I was much happier and peaceful then.)

***

One reader is curious about liquor here.  And luckily, expats CAN buy alcohol!  One gets a license from the government which allows the purchase of a particular amount (in rials) of alcohol per month.  We pay quite a lot, are only permitted to consume it in our homes, must keep it covered in the car and must drive directly from the liquor store to our houses, but one can indeed buy alcohol here.  Thank goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment