Thursday, February 27, 2014

Post Number 8 for February

Hi there friends,

There are two days left for three posts which means it is highly unlikely that I will actually publish ten posts this month, but there we are.  I will still do better than January, inshallah.  (This is my favorite thing people say here, by a lot, even when they are saying something like, "I will bring the painters to your house tomorrow afternoon, inshallah."  And then I say, "okay, but you're coming, right?")

We're all feeling much better, finally, and Lulu has been given a clean bill of health (and a high five for beating her two minor ear infections without anything stronger than ibuprofen for the pain) by her new pediatrician.  So far, we really like him, which feels great.

Lulu has been well enough to have playdates this week and below is a photo with a school friend, on our way to the car.  They are standing in front of the poster for the Festival of Choirs which is an annual TAISM event, entirely coordinated by the high school choir director (who happens to be my friend).  This year is especially exciting because the guest conductor of the whole shebang is the Ole Choir conductor, Anton Armstrong!  Because I am a St. Olaf alum, Eli and I got free tickets.  I told him to stick with me, I can get him places.  (It's a joke; he doesn't even want to go to the Festival of Choirs but he is.)

I've been thinking a lot about my life lately as you all know (even more when the new pediatrican told me his son is a lawyer in LA and I got to remembering all the California codes and practice guides, sigh) and I have another thing to add to the list of things that make me joyful.  It thrills me all the way to my toes to watch my children master new skills (we've had a lot of this lately:  writing "z"s and riding two wheelers, to name a couple).  When they decide they want to do something, and they work so so so hard at it, their determination can actually feel overwhelming to me.  I think there were moments on one of the bike-riding lesson days during which I was actually crying.  I mean, jumping up and down and screaming and some tears.  What is it about these two small people (doing things that the very vast majority of us learn to do at some point in our lives, I might add) that puts me so far on the emotional edge? It's just nutty.  We went to the park last weekend with Tommy's friend who is a few months ahead on the bike riding and much more steady of a rider, and Tommy just kept trying.  For what felt like hours but was only minutes, he just kept starting and stopping or crashing and starting and stopping or crashing and I was just so proud of him.


During the sick period.

Tommy does this almost every morning: rolls out of bed and comes downstairs to read for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment