Monday, March 09, 2015

Lately

Hi again.  Still having photo trouble and I have so many photos to show you!  This is what happens when your photo guy has a more-than-full time job, I suppose.  How many of you have composed an email to me that says something like, "well, Laura, why don't you get up off your bum and figure out how to solve your photo problems?" I haven't received one of these emails, so I'm assuming you - like me - have a habit of drafting email and then not sending it.  Anyway, you're absolutely right and I have no idea what's wrong with me.  I suggest you look on the bright side and think about all the nice things about me (mostly, that I have good podcast recommendations and lately some good novel recommendations as well).

We've got lots going on over here in Muscat.  First of all, we've been in the middle of the biggest dust storm since 2003 (according to our 'newspaper').  (I also learned in the 'newspaper' that a bunch of chips containing pork somehow made it into the supermarkets here.  Yikes.)  Anyway, it's been pretty gross.  It's depressingly dark and despite the fact that I haven't spent much time outdoors, I taste dust in my mouth most of the time.  Isn't that bizarre? My teeth have never been cleaner because I've been brushing them so much.  It looks like we might have rain on Thursday which we desperately need to clean the dust out of the air.

Second, we had a hugely traumatic event in our family on Friday morning.  Tommy was goalie in his last football game of the season and he let in THREE goals and the team lost their only game this season.  I was so upset and worried about it that I didn't really eat for the rest of the day on Friday.  Is this ridiculous? Do I know that there are much bigger problems in the world?  Of course.  It was of course particularly awful because I didn't want Tommy to know that I was feeling so horribly about it (as he was mostly over it after it happened).  Football is over for the season and he plans to play again next year.

Third, and related to the second item, Tommy and Lizzie began karate twice a week.  This is my favorite activity ever because (a) they are ADORABLE in gis and (b) they can do it together! Also, I have a friend who has kids in the class and I get to chat with her for two hours each week. It means Lizzie is over scheduled but since she's only in school four hours per day, she'll survive.  Tommy appears to have more aptitude for karate than football but I am typing that with cautious optimism and knocking on wood at the same time.

Fourth, we are going to Rome next week!  It's spring break and we are visiting Hanh and Eleanor.  On my list for tomorrow is establishing whether my children own clothes that are warm enough that fit them.

Fifth, I put a bunch of musicals on my phone so now instead of listening to stupid stories on the way to school, the kids are learning (currently) Annie, The Sound of Music, and Mary Poppins.  Fun for all!  (Except that Tommy has been reading the abridged versions of Shakespeare's tragedies, along with books about WWII so I'm not sure how much he's learning in terms of music.)

And that's all I've got. 

No comments:

Post a Comment