Thursday, September 01, 2016

Two wheels!

Some of you know that I have spent the past two summers gasping for breath and clutching the seat of Lulu's bike as she steadfastly refuses to learn to ride a two wheeler.  "I'm not ready" and "I'll learn when I'm six, like Tommy did" have been mainstays in our conversations.

Given that it was clear that she was indeed ready to learn, these experiences were very, very frustrating to me.

This summer, I told her that it wasn't an option; that she had to learn to ride.  Never one to miss the opportunity to call my bluff, she learned about ten days before we left Seattle, after countless hours of me running behind the bike.  (My back still hurts.)

BUT, one morning I announced that we were going out, and she snapped on her helmet and followed me...AND RODE THE BIKE.  Of course she absolutely loves it.  She sings and cheers and says things to us like, "I just love riding my bike."  As we knew she would.

We are SO proud.  Six has been a very big year for Lizzie.

The bike no longer has a basket and ribbons.  As she reported to me, "Grandpa took all that crap off my bike."  NICE, Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment