Friday, January 21, 2011

London

I've been composing a post about what I hate about London, but I decided I'd also better do what I love about London, just so you don't think I'm miserable.

The things I hate:
1. That cars always have the right-of-way.
2. The puddles of vomit on the sidewalk every morning. I would understand this more if it just happened on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but people drink to excess and puke on the sidewalk every night here.
3. The dog poop on the sidewalk. I'm with David Sedaris and am proud of the fact that people usually pick up their dog's poop in the US.
4. The inefficiency. See my posts about the bank and my debit card, and how long it took Skye to give us internet access.
5. Sending mail and packages to the US. Packages cost a small fortune. And envelopes aren't expensive, but I have to go to the post office every time I want to mail something because the price varies quite a bit, so I have to get everything weighed. I won't be sending thank you notes in the mail anymore, but since I received about three Christmas cards in the mail, I know you all understand. (I really loved those Christmas cards, though.)
6. The dark. It gets dark at 3:30 for a few weeks. And I guess the weather, but really, it's the dark.

The things I love:
1. Runs along the river. (I love that I cross the Albert Bridge and that I used to do that when we lived here in 2007.)
2. Our house (except the parts of it that are gross).
3. Ocado (the grocery delivery service).
4. The adorable children. They wear little pea coats and have charming accents.
5. When people ask me for directions and I know the answer. This happens at least three times per week.
6. Tommy loves that the street sweepers are out twice a day, and he also loves the London busses. They are red and double decker and I'm not sure how they could be improved from his perspective.
7. The cookies and the chocolate. I need to detox from the sugar. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment