Friday, September 28, 2012

Hi there.

Hi friends.  

We've had a big week.  A hard one for me -- my work felt stressful and on Tuesday night I was ready to quit and by Thursday I had decided to make partner one day.  (Don't you wish you could be inside my head? I mean, at the very least I make it seem exciting, right?)  The only thing I can say honestly is that the jury's out.  I listened today to a very inspiring 'This American Life" that made me think there are far more productive things I could be doing with my time.  But sometimes (decidedly not Tuesday), I really like construction law.  Also my boss realized that he'd been mean to me and bought me some chocolates which I ate all day on Thursday and which helped my perspective.  (Now I'm back off the sugar, for those curious, and the next couple of days will be painful.)

Perhaps we should now get to the cause of my angst rather than the symptoms.  Eli left today for Muscat.  It's only a 'business trip', but he'll be gone for a while and the truth is that this part of the transition to a new job is a big big bummer.  I am intentional in my choice not to talk about my marriage on this blog (because it is the cheesiest thing in the world, in my opinion, and I cringe when my favorite Mormon Mommy bloggers start gushing about their husbands), but I will tell you that when Eli is gone, I miss him.  A lot.

Of course, there are a few bright sides.  First, I get to stay in London.  And we all know that I am very comfortable gushing about London and the fact that I love it here and would stay forever.  (My enthusiasm was dampened this morning when I received an email from the chairperson of the neighborhood association letting us know that the 'rats situation' has been escalated to the housing department.  Eli offered the helpful thought that, 'at least the council will deal with them!' while I lay there deciding if I was going to actually vomit or not.  Then, I saw a mouse on the platform at Gloucester Road and decided that maybe God is trying to help me focus on the negative in London.)  Second, by the time we get through this part -- in which Eli travels all the time and never really unpacks his bags and by the end stops even bringing back presents for us -- I'll be looking very forward to actually moving.  It softens the horrible feelings that accompany departure to realize that your family will be together again.  Third, I don't feel nearly as guilty about television time (for the kids)  because how else can I possibly be expected to get things done?  (Tommy announced recently that he likes 'to watch the news on TV.  About football.'  And that made me wonder what he thinks news is?)

So a pretty important partner in my office is a really nice guy who lives near us (across the river in Putney).  And at an event last week, we were chatting and only God knows how but I started talking about how we need to make a trip to the dump.  He's such a nice man that he volunteered to drive us there because he has a van (he has six children).  Anyway, I learned that here we call the dump the 'tip.'  And when I asked why nobody could tell me but don't you think it's because you 'tip' the unwanted items into the refuse pile? Isn't that just charming? Especially compared to 'dumping' them?  And nobody comment and tell me they call it the 'transfer station' because I will know you are being untruthful.  This paragraph is already a mess, but because I'm now thinking about the word 'dump', I'll tell you that after the last partner meeting, all our guys came back talking about how there had been a snowstorm on the East Coast and the US partners kept referring to it as a 'dump' and our guys had a hard time keeping straight faces.

One more thing:  we bought Tommy a new scooter.  It has three wheels as the two-wheeled one (aka 'balance' scooter) hasn't been used.  It's for bigger kids than the old pink one though, and it is currently available in the limited edition RED version.  Friends, it has changed my life.  He now insists on scooting everywhere which means that we are now regularly on time for school!  Who knew the solution would be so easy? And please, send some positive thoughts along that this excitement lasts.

It's raining in London.  I hope it's not raining where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment