Saturday, November 23, 2013

Rainbow Lego Day

Tommy's school has their field day in November, at the end of the first trimester, because of course the weather is much too hot at the end of June.

It's called Rainbow day.  Each child is assigned a color and they are divided into teams by color. Tommy was yellow.

It's a hectic little day to begin with because the parents have to do all sorts of things -  put sunscreen on, bring things for the post-games picnic, and more.  So the morning had a frantic pace (that's a notch above frenzied for those curious) to begin with and we were ten minutes late by the time I finally started the car.  It did not help things that I had a dental appointment at nine, which just gave me time to drop the kids and food off and get to the appointment.

Imagine my dismay, then, when I glanced back at Tommy and saw him hitting himself on the head - and learned that he had inserted a Lego light into his ear.

I could've cried but also found myself overcome by a desire to laugh hysterically.

We got to school and I marched my little Lego boy to the nurse who was happy to help but immediately realized that she could not get it out.  She offered to call ahead to the ER and let them know we were on the way.  I asked if he could play the field games first but she said, nope, not really.

We went to the ER and the GP tried to remove the lego with tweezers -- and process Tommy found painful.  He was a bit rude to the GP but I sort of think that you can be a bit rude if you're in pain.  I learned then that the ENT was in surgery and we couldn't see him until 12:30.  (Of course, he was leaving at one which gave us a half-hour window to see him, because there's nothing like a bit of added pressure to make an already unpleasant situation worse.)  The GP opined that the lego would need to be removed with suction.

I drove back to school, told Lizzie's teacher that we had to leave early and left Tommy with the other yellows.  He had a GREAT time.  The PE teachers had it organized really well and the games were really fun and fun to watch as well.  I had asked the GP whether it was fine for Tommy to play and he said that yes, it was, as the lego was not going to get any deeper.

When it was time to go, I carried my crying three-year old away from school ("I want to stay with Ms Carla!!") and we met Eli at the hospital.  I was worried that it would be a difficult process given the discomfort at the ER.  But, the ENT took two long pointy tools and got it right out.  It was perhaps a twenty-second process.

I told Tommy that it was his first time making that mistake, so no problem -- but never again with stuff in his ears.  He promised.





No comments:

Post a Comment