Sunday, July 04, 2010

We're all moved.

The move out of our temporary apartment was fairly stressful, in part because I had ordered loads of things to be delivered to the house on the same day that we moved in. (Because we had to camp in the house and I wanted to be sure we had the essentials, like a bed for Tommy and a bed for Lizzie and a bed for Eli and me.) Anyway, we rushed over to meet the inventory guy so we could go through the house bit by bit and that took a long time because he was chatty and so am I. Afterward, Eli and I jumped into the car and headed back to the apartment but I got a call from the delivery guys for Tommy's bed that they were on the way, so Eli pulled over and I jumped out of the car and ran home. So poor Eli had to finish moving us out of that place alone. After he returned, Eli had to go down to Gatwick to take some sort of test, so the kids and I just sort of hung out.

Then, on Monday, after a weekend of camping but with running water (although not hot water until we figured out how to set the boiler), three men arrived with our container and unloaded it. They also unpacked -- which means they took everything out of the boxes and put it anywhere they could find for it. So I've spent my freetime the last two weeks walking through the house moving things from place to place. It's all sorted out now, but there is still lots to do to get unpacked properly.

Tommy really likes the new house. We're still working on the proper response to the question "where are you?" He thinks it's, "I'm here!" Which is not very helpful. I'm looking for something like, "I'm in my room!"

Tommy had has last day of preschool last week. They put on a little show and I regret to inform all of you that Tommy did not do a great job. The kids sang probably ten songs, and I'm absolutely certain that he knew each of them perfectly, but he didn't sing AT ALL. Instead, he took off his party hat, folded it up, and then actually ate some of it. Really? Yes, really. He got his first report card and you'll be pleased to know that he's doing fine in preschool. Obviously, there are no grades, just a bunch of cute comments about his Montessori skills. He has mastered, for example, pouring and sticking.

Lizzie is doing very well. She is adorable and smiles at anybody but especially Tommy. He can be having a fit, and she leans over and gives him a huge grin. She absolutely loves her new crib. I shouldn't be shocked, as cribs are obviously more comfortable than pack n plays, but somehow, we were both surprised at how much better she's sleeping. She is also eating a lot of solid food these days. She loves teething biscuits, which she isn't supposed to have until she's seven months old, but I figured they're better than pretzels, which is what she seems to lunge for most frequently. She is still rather high-maintenance, but nobody reading this finds that surprising, I'm sure. Lizzie also loves having the double jogger here almost as much as I do, because she takes great naps in there. Yay. (Double joggers are not common here and so I receive a lot of feedback as I wheeze down the street pushing fifty pounds.)

We are still figuring out how to do everything. Renter's insurance has been very difficult to get, but registering to pay taxes to our council was very easy (I know, you're shocked). We still don't have the internet. Right now, I'm stealing someone else's broadband and the network is called "PRIVATE DO NOT USE." I feel guilty, but also wonder why the owner doesn't just password protect it. We have our phone NUMBER, but no phone line, and a letter from the company that they are coming to install it while we are on vacation. So that's nice. The booster thing we got to make our cellphones work in our house (a Kent family curse, apparently) needs both the broadband and phone line to work. Another impossible thing is getting a bank card for moi. Don't worry, I just use Eli's, but you would not believe what I have to do to get a bank card here (on step involved a three-way phone call with me, Eli and our utility company).

No comments:

Post a Comment