Friday, March 30, 2012

Easter Parade

As he marched onto the school field, Tommy was soooo happy to see me that I felt immediately relieved that I had stayed home from work that morning to attend the parade.  He didn't seem aware of what was on his head or what was on the heads of the other children -- just happy to see me, and Grandma Sid and Lulu.

Please know that I am grateful and doing whatever I can to engrave this in my memory, because I know that he will be embarrassed of me in public at some point in his life.  But right now he is not.

Last night when Grandma Sid was telling Tommy a bedtime story, he announced his intention to be, when he grows up, "a regular dad.  The kind who stays at home with his kids."  I could tell Eli found it heartbreaking as Sid told the story but I told Eli there could be no greater compliment.

(Tommy and I discussed this conversation on the bus and I had to remind myself that he is just four (but almost five!) and that I don't need to be concerned that he doesn't envision himself ever working.  I choked back, "but how will you buy food?" because of course he's only four.  Thank goodness he doesn't have to worry about these types of questions.)

Anyway, the bonnets were really funny.  One kid had an army helmet with bunny ears taped on; one kid had a huge sombrero (like width of hat equal to his height) with easter eggs hanging from the perimeter; another kid dressed as a ghost.


 This is a picture of our tube stop with the magnolia in bloom.  I thought it would be a nice thing to remember, so I am slapping it up on the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Tommy's looks like a multi-colored, polka-dotted jock strap!

    And don't worry about the "regular dad"--Lexy, age 7, said that when she grows up she'd like to be a kindergarten or first-grade teacher because "you don't have to work hard" to do it! Actually, I think it's also because she totally admires her first-grade teacher.

    ReplyDelete