Sunday, June 24, 2012

A(nother) random one...

I have three topics to cover today:  Ascot, Gabon, and a cute Lulu story.

Ascot

As I went to work on Wednesday morning (or was it Thursday? the days all blend into one), I noticed a lot of ladies in hats.  You know, the pretty kind that look like a little bit of pretty material that happens to be shaped like a bird or a flower just happened to land on a lady's head, in the perfect spot to compliment her updo.  I do not spend enough time watching the news each day, and so I wondered to myself what in the world could be going on?  Were we wearing hats in honor of the first day of summer perhaps?  But then I luckily ran into one of the IT guys at my firm and walked into the office with me.  He explained that these ladies were all Ascot-bound and that how one gets to Ascot is to take a big bus.  There are many locations at which people wait for these buses, and now you all know that Temple Tube station is one of them.  After John explained the situation to me, I was sorry I hadn't just asked if I could take a photo of them (for this here blog).  Anyway, they all looked lovely and glamorous and it made me wish I were going with them and wearing something pretty and a well-placed bird on my head (not a real one OBVIOUSLY).

Gabon

Nothing is sure in my life pretty much ever, but the likelihood of going to Gabon has increased now that Eli's boss has signed up to go.  (I suppose he is technically no longer Eli's boss, as he is going to Gabon and Eli is still on the Gatwick project.)  Anyway, I have an anonymous guest blogger who went to Gabon and reported back to me.  I thought that my readers (this is another topic but my page views have skyrocketed lately and so perhaps it's a nice time to thank you all for reading!?) may find her perspective interesting and so with her permission I include a bit of her description.

I have met some of the wives; all very nice ladies.  They have all seemed to find activities. Some are working and/or have joined gyms, beach club, take french lessons, horseback riding lessons, book clubs and golfing.  They get together for lunch, coffee and organize small dinner parties.  Some of the women offered to pass along email addresses and I will follow up on this.

The anonymous guest blogger intrigued me by mentioning a beach club, but mostly she makes me certain that I'll need to find a job in Gabon.  But perhaps during the six-month period I've reserved to settled in the kids and to learn a little French (I have started -- have I mentioned this? I am lucky enough to have a tutor already and she is tres dynamic and teaches me all sorts of funny phrases I'll never say) I shall join a beach club.  The funny thing I learned about the beach club after talking to my anonymous guest blogger is that the beach is across the street from the beach club.  

I am told that taxis are easy to flag down; however here, drivers will pick up other passengers who are travelling in the same direction unless you ask them not to.  They will expect you to pay a little more for this "private" service, but will generally accommodate your request if you negotiate it up front.  However, they are still cheap.

Do any of you think it would be sort of awesome to share a cab with strangers and stop along the way? I am intrigued, to say the least.  (I will not likely have the guts to do it.)  Anyway, we probably have to get a car as I would imagine I won't be able to stomach having my littles in cars in Gabon without car seats.  And the taxi drivers plus other patrons probably won't want to wait for me to install them as it takes a very long time and I usually end up swearing. 

There are very good restaurants - Chinese, Morocan, Pizza, French, Lebanese, Italian, etc.  They do not have home delivery of food, but you can go to any restaurant and get your order to take away.  Shockingly (or perhaps thankfully) they do not have any McDonald's, Burger King or Kentucky Fried Chicken!

This one makes me happy AND sad at the same time.  Obviously, if Tommy never eats (again) at McDonald's, I will be happy.  Also nice is a variety of good (even just decent would be okay) food.  BUT if you can't get restaurant food delivered, what is the chance would you guess at grocery delivery?  I am so in love with Ocado and I will miss it so so so much.

There are some big supermarkets similar to Tesco/Sainsbury (but French style - Carrefour) that sell food and household goods.  The selection is not huge, but has everything one would need.  There are other smaller food supermarkets that import more western style products, have a good selection of meat products, vegetables, fruits, etc., basically anything you would need.  Markets and Street Vendors sell lots of pineapple and coconut along with lots of other fruits and vegetables.  I am told these items are slightly cheaper if you buy from the vendors.  Some food items (especially those that are imported) are quite expensive (cucumber $9.00 US).

And to this I say only that it's a good thing our family isn't head-over-heels for cucumber.  I mean, we eat them, but can easily do with out.  (Also good - but secondarily - is the food allowance we will receive if we go.)

My anonymous guest blogger wrote more and so if I receive a positive response to this post, perhaps next time she will tell you about accommodations, schools and gyms!

LULU

When Lulu woke up from her nap on Friday, I brought her downstairs to finish my computer business.  By which I mean my internet shopping.

Since we arrived back from Florida, I have been unable to find the kids' crocs.  This is upsetting as I know I didn't lose or leave four crocs, but still, I can't find them.  And I waited for a while but since Lulu needs hers for school, I finally bought them some replacements last week.  Not crocs, a new kind of shoe that I read about on one of my favorite blogs (they're here).  I bought Tommy red and Lulu navy and they both love them.

Or did until Lulu came down from her nap and pink ones were open on the screen.

She screamed, "OH!  Pink ones!  Love 'em!  Buy 'em" and then climbed off the couch, went into the kitchen and returned with a euro.  To pay for them.



1 comment:

  1. Well, you have some opportunity for a whole different kind of "eat local" blog, now don't you (including honest to god locally sourced CHOCOLATE)? I will place a much higher value on our farm cukes this year...

    I'd love to hear more about Gabon!

    ReplyDelete