Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Marine Corps Ball

As I mentioned in my most recent post, Eli and I went to the Marine Corps Ball last night.  The Marines are 238 years old and this was their birthday party.  (Who knew?)  Here are some things about it:

First, I realized that my children are on track currently to have no idea what the national anthem is, let alone how to sing it.  (Tommy sings "God Save the Queen" flawlessly, however.)  They also do not know the pledge of allegiance or the Lord's Prayer.  We started on the national anthem in the car on the way to swimming this morning, but Tommy ignored me as he is deeply engrossed in 'Trumpet of the Swan'.

Second, it is easy to detect a Marine or former Marine because they have a very distinct posture and always hold their hands at their sides with their fingers curled in a bit in sort of a half-fist.

Third, Muscat is SUCH a small town (in terms of expats anyway).  Eli and I both had a lot of fun at the ball because we knew a lot of people there.  (There is one mom that I want to become friends with before all my friends leave in June and she was there so that was nice.)

Fourth, you would not have believed the security.

Fifth, the ambassador was there (see number four) and she spoke.  She seems lovely and I love that she is a woman.  Of course.

Sixth, even though we are all adults, there was still one guy that was so drunk (Eli described him as 'shit faced' when he pointed him out to me) that he alternated between knocking over chairs, making out with his girlfriend (who was also drunk and occasionally showing her entire boob to other guests), sleeping in his chair, and staggering to the bar for more drinks.  It was ridiculous but also entertaining as I am not above laughing at others for ridiculous behavior.

Seventh, the youngest Marine (there was a big deal about the birthday cake being eaten by the oldest Marine and then the youngest Marine) was born in 1991 which means that I am very nearly old enough to be his mother.  I mean, it would have been a very poor choice to have a baby that young but it would have been possible.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post - I especially like the part about the youngest Marine and very bad choices :)

    ReplyDelete