Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My children, a couple of weeks later

This morning, Lulu came into my bathroom where I was getting ready and asked me if her swimsuit bottom was "inside outside".  Does this strike anyone else as the most delightful thing ever said in the history of the world ever? No? I guess she has to be yours to feel quite so strongly.

These adorable children of mine have been making me C-R-A-Z-Y and the root of it is that they have been a little bit bickery.  I would love to describe to you my emotional response at the commencement of the bickering, but I don't think I can.  Or maybe, FURY and RAGE are pretty close to descriptive.

When I am experiencing FURY and RAGE because one of my offspring is purposefully irritating the other, I am unable to be anything other than what my children describe as "yell-y".   "WHY ARE YOU MAKING YOUR SISTER CRY?" and "CAN YOU PLEASE TRY TO TALK ABOUT THIS WITH TOMMY NOT WITH ME BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO CRY??"  and "THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST FIGURE IT OUT!"

And later on during my car thinking time, I reflect and sigh and wish I were a better person.  Because there are no parenting books that tell you to lose your temper with your kids.  The best advice I've found is that you ought to apologize to your children and explain that temper-losing is undesirable and that you are working not to do it.

So I do.  I apologize.  And Lizzie suggests "square breathing" (which I will just have to show you sometime) and finding someone to give you a hug when you're angry.  Tommy just says, very cheerfully, "that's alright mom!  I forgive you!" Ugh, ugh, ugh, ONE MILLION UGHS.

All this to say:  who knows the golden secret to stop the bickering?  Please send ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment